A few coaches have been asking me questions about the behaviour of our matchmaker. This post is targeted toward coaches who are already coaching in the matchmaker. If you are interested in coaching in the matchmaker, learn more here.
Coaches in the matchmaker receive offers to coach students through Steam chat. The information below can help you understand when the matchmaker has historically sent out the most offers. If you are trying to get more offers to coach, you can use it to be online and available to coach at peak times.
- Peak time of activity in a week is at 1 AM on Saturdays UTC (local time).
- Peak time of activity on any given day is at 11pm UTC (local time).
- Weekends (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) represent over half of all matchmaker activity.
|Graph shows a three hour rolling average for the number of coaching offers sent via the matchmaker throughout the week with all times in the UTC timezone. |
The matchmaker fails to match a student with a coach when the student waits ten minutes or cancels after five minutes. The times in red are the times in the week where we need more coaches online. Overall, the matchmaker fails to match coaches with students about 20% of the time.
|Graph shows percentage of failed matches normalized by hour of the week|
Students can optionally choose to focus their coaching on a specific role or hero. The information below gives an overview of the topics people have historically focused on.
- Students choose roles more frequently than heroes: Mid (35%), Carry (13%), Support (9%), Offlane (4%)
- Coaches have been matched for lessons focusing on 51 of the 112 heroes
- Most popular heroes are Storm Spirit (3%), Invoker (3%), Kunkka (2%), Bounty Hunter (1.5%), Shadow Fiend (1.5%)
- The matchmaker fails to match students with a coach more frequently for certain heroes: Spectre (85% failure), Invoker (50% failure), Bounty Hunter (42% failure)
All statistics from August 1st, 2015 to February 1st, 2016.